Therapeutic drug assays
TDL’s therapeutic drug assays measure the serum level of a drug to ensure its concentration is within the therapeutic range.
There are three different collection times for Therapeutic Drug Monitoring:
- Trough Level: Blood should be collected just before the next dose. Trough Levels check that the appropriate drug concentration is being maintained.
- Peak Levels: Sample collection time is dependent on specific drug type and method of administration. Peak levels check that the drug level is not in the toxic range.
- Suspected Toxicity: Blood can be collected any time.
All collections should have the following noted on the request form:
- Dosage schedule including the amount and frequency and time of the last dose
- Time of specimen collection
- Clinical status of patient (e.g. routine, suspected toxicity)
- Name(s) of other drugs being taken by the patient
Therapeutic drug assay tests
Test codes, sample types, and turn-around times.
Dr Frank Geoghegan